I have been thinking about forgiveness recently and how it relates to our physical, mental, and spiritual health.
Why is it that it can be so easy to forgive a friend or a colleague, but make one mistake of our own and we cannot move past it? Our thoughts our consumed by our guilt and our sleep disturbed. Forgiveness does not mean we forget to take accountability, it means that we allow ourselves to move forward in a healthy way. We are all, after all, only human.
If you have been struggling with anger, anxiety, or unidentified stress – take a look at these five reasons why you should forgive yourself today:
- Feeling guilty about yourself or something you did can make you angry and resentful, which has a negative impact on your relationships
- Holding onto to stress and anger can worsen or cause disease (i.e. cancer, heart disease & autoimmune disorders)
- Guilt or anger can sap your energy and can lead to anxiety or depression
- Forgiving ourselves is an opportunity to mend broken relationships and address the consequences in a productive manner
- Self-forgiveness is an act of self-love and offers a reminder that we are more than just our mistakes or failures