Carolle Jean-Murat, M.D., F.A.C.O.G.
Obstetrics and Gynecology and Primary Care – women’s health
Board-certified in obstetrics and gynecology
Clinical mentor for under served students at San Diego States University, through the HCOP Program
Clinical instructor UCSD School of Medicine 1985 to 2000
- April 1994 to May 1995: “Intensive Program in Primary Care, Sharp Health Care, San Diego, CA
- September 1978 to August 1982: Residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology, Mount Sinai Medical Center, Milwaukee, Wisconsin; affiliated with the University of Milwaukee and the University of Madison, Wisconsin, Medical School. This included one year of elective in Pathology, Oncology, Gastroenterology, Internal Medicine, General and Obstetrical Anesthesia.
- August 1977 to July 1978: Social Service in General Medine working as a general practitioner for men and women, including doing home deliveries in underserved areas of Mexico – Department of Public Health, Mexico.
- July 1976 to June 1977: Rotating internship in General Surgery, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Internal Medicine, and Pediatics, University of the West Indies, Medical School, Jamaica.
- August 1972 to June 1976: Medical School, Autonomous University of Guadalajara, Mexico
- September 1966 to June 1970: Pre-med., B.S., Lycée du Cent- Cinquantenaire, Port-au-Prince, Haiti.
US Exams passed:
- ECFMG 1977
- FLEX 1981
- Written Boards, American Board of Ob -Gyn, June 1982
- Oral Boards, American Board of Ob-Gyn, December 1985
Other Professional Activities:
- Reviewed medical records and testified at the Department of Veterans Affairs for female veterans suffering from posttraumatic stress disorder – PTSD, due to military sexual trauma.
- Reviewed medical records and testified at trials for rape/murder cases San Diego County Public Defenders Office.
- Reviewed medical records for compliance with appropriate medical standards, Medical Board of California.
- Past chairman, Mortality and Morbidity Review – Grossmont & Alvarado Hospital, San Diego, CA.
Awards and Honors:
- Outstanding Resident Award for 1980-1981, Dept. of Ob-Gyn, Mount Sinai Medical Center, Milwaukee, Wisconsin., 1981.
- Certificate of Appreciation, City of San Diego, 1983.
- Certificate of Appreciation, Women in Business, San Diego State University, 1984.
- Diplomate of the American Board of obstetrics and Gynecology, 1985.
- Fellow of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, 1985.
- The Salvation Army, Certificate of Appreciation, 1985.
- Certificate of Appreciation, Federally Employed Women, 1985.
- Certificate of Appreciation, Flying Hill High School, 1986.
- Certificate of Commendation, Naval Air Rework Facility, “Federal Women’s Week,” 1986.
- Certificate of Appreciation for Community Workshop, Southeast Counseling and Consulting Services, 1987.
- Certificate of Honorary Membership for outstanding and Valuable Service, San Diego State University Pre-Medical Society, 1989.
- Certificate of Appreciation, United Way, 1989
- Certificate of Appreciation, Catholic Charities, Diocese of San Diego, 1991.
- Rachel’s Women’s Center’s Award, in recognition and appreciation for commitment of providing quality medical care to homeless women through the Medical Screening Program, 1986-1991.
- Woman of Distinction San Diego Regional Conference for Women, 1992
- Community Leadership Award, Channel 10, (ABC, San Diego affiliate), 1993.
- Matriarchal Award, Woman Care, 1994.
- Outstanding Black Leader Award, Channel 8, (CBS, San Diego affiliate), 1995.
- San Diego Book Award for” Staying Healthy: 10 Easy Steps For Women,” 1995.
- African-American Women’s Conference “Salutes Carolle Jean-Murat, MD for outstanding services to health care, 1995.
- Honoree for Outstanding Health Care Services, Lambda Kappa Mu Sorority, Inc., 1995.
- Honoree for Health Services National Council of Negro Women, 1995.
- Outstanding Black Leader Award, Channel 8 (CBS San Diego affiliate), 1995.
- In Appreciation for 8 Years of Service, Southern Indian Health Council (SHIC), Inc., 1996
- Certificate of Appreciation Catholic Charities, Diocese of San Diego, 1996.
- In recognition and appreciation for commitment of providing quality medical care to homeless women through the Medical Screening Program, 1986-1996.Rachel’s Women’s Center’s Award, 1996
- Special Recognition, The Peter F. Drucker Award for Nonprofit Innovation, St Vincent de Paul Village, Physicians Reach-Out Program, 1997.
- Certificate of Appreciation for 10 years of outstanding services and excellence in medicine, Southern Indian Health Council, 1998.
- Woman of Excellence, Beta Sigma Pi, 1999.
- Certificate of Appreciation, San Diego City Schools, for participation in the annual African American Student Role Model Conference “Touching the Spirit.” 1999.
- San Diego Book Awards, Women’s Issues – 1999 for Menopause Made Easy, 2000.
- Certificate of appreciation, the University of California, San Diego, Chicanos & Latinos for Creative Medicine, 2000.
- Bob Marley Peace Award, for “efforts in advancing the global cause of equality, justice, and peace – Children for Haiti Project, 2002.
- Certificate of Appreciation, Florida Haitian Student Association, 2003.
- Women Who Mean Business Award, San Diego Business Journal, 2004
- Certificate of Appreciation, St. Vincent de Paul Village Family Health Center, in Recognition of Your Deep Commitment and Outstanding Devotion to Our Organization and the People We Serve, 2004
- Women of Distinction Award, Soroptimist International of Vista, 2005
- Physician Volunteer of the Year Award, St. Vincent de Paul Village Family Health Center, 2007
- Certificate of Appreciation, African American Business Women of Vision, 2009
- Speak for Success, Women’s Leadership Institute, Women Changing the World, 2009 Honoree, Women’s Advocate.
- International Women’s Day Outstanding Service Award! The Women’s Information Network (The WIN) for extraordinary efforts to make a positive difference in the world, 2011.
- Library Champion Award for building communities through wellness education, San Diego County Library, 2011.
- Lifetracks Lifetime Achievement Award for making a difference in the lives of women in the world, 2011.
- Physician Volunteer of the Year Award, St. Vincent de Paul Village Family Health Center, 2012.
- USA TODAY’S Finalist: BEST MEMOIR for Voodoo in My Blood: A Healer’s Journey from Surgeon to Shaman, 2012.
- San Diego Book Awards, Memoir for Voodoo in My Blood: A Healer’s Journey from Surgeon to Shaman, 2012.
- Honoree: Beautiful, Brilliant, and Brave: A Celebration of Black Women – Women’s Museum of California, 2014.
- Private practice in Obstetrics and Gynecology, San Diego, CA., from 1982 to 1992
- Private practice in Gynecology and Primary Care, San Diego, CA., from 1992 to 1999.
- Private practice in office Gynecology, Primary Care, San Diego, CA., from 1999 to 2003
- Private practice in office Gynecology, Primary Care, and medical intuitive San Diego, CA., from 2003 to 2005.
- Gynecology – free services, Haiti & St. Vincent de Paul Village Family Health Center, San Diego, CA from 1997 to date.
- Intuitive consulting practice from 2005 to date.
- It It My Hormones or Something Else? How to find out what is REALLY happening to me and what to do about it 2012
- Voodoo In My Blood: A Healer’s Journey from Surgeon to Shaman 2012
- La Ménopause Démystifiée: Comment Prendre Des Décisions Eclai-rées Pour Le Reste de Votre Vie – 2008
- Daily Miracles in the Life of a Healer, 2008
- Life’s Lessons From Grandma, 2005
- Mind, Body, Soul & Money: Putting Your Life in Balance, 2002
- Natural Pregnancy A-Z, 2000
- Menopause Made Easy: How to Make the Right Decisions for the Rest of Your Life, 1999 – Revised Edition – 2002.
- Contributing author of Millennium 2000: A Positive Approach by Louise L. Hay and Friends, 1999
- Let’s Stay Healthy – half hour TV talk show 1996-1997
- Buena Salud: 10 Pasos Simples Para la Mujer 1994
- Staying Healthy: 10 Easy Steps for Women, 1994
- Staying Healthy: Women Wellness Series, Audio cassettes Series, 1995.
- Primary squamous cell carcinoma of the vagina in a young woman, a case presentation and review of the literature, 1982.
Health Columnist for:
- San Diego Voice & View Point
- Bayviewer Newsletter
Dr. Carolle is one of the ten worldwide doctors featured in Fabulous Female Physicians in The Women’s Hall of Fame Series by Sharon & Florence Kirsh.
- Advisory board member: GE Financial Center for Learning, 1999-2004
- Founder and president of Health Through Communications Foundation 1993
- Founder Haitian Society of San Diego, 1994
- Board of Directors, Goodwill Ambassador: CODEVA., La Vallée de Jacmel, Haiti, 1999
- Boards of Directors, CODEHA, Haiti.
French, Haitian, Spanish, English, Italian.
- American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- National Organization for Women
- Planned Parenthood Association
- Southeast San Diego Rotary Club
- Bi-annual trips to La Vallée de Jacmel, Haiti to provide much needed medical care to an underserved region.
- The Salvation Army
- San Diego Urban Indian Center
- House of Rachel for Homeless Women, Medical Screening Program, 1986 to present.
- Greenfield Junior High, mentor, 1987 to present.
- Mentor and teacher, St. Stephens Christian School, 1992 to present.
- Our Lady Of Peace Academy, mentor 1988 to 1994
- Mentor, UCSD School of Medicine for minority students.
- Mentor, UCSD Post-bachelors program for minority students
- Mentor, San Diego State University (SDSU) HCOP program for minority students interested in health care.
- Gynecological services at St. Vincent de Paul Village Center for the Homeless, 1997 to present.
- A gardener who designed and planted most of the fruit trees and flowers at the Dr. Carolle’s Wellness & Retreat Center of San Diego
- A painter whose art works have been featured in art shows, a mixed-media muralist.
- An internationally acclaimed speaker and seminar leader.
- Multiple features on TV, Radio, Newspapers, and Magazines.
- Radio Talk Show Host in English and Spanish.
Available upon request.